In this episode, I’m speaking with Sam Marshall.
Sam shares with us her daily routine in the studio, the process of writing and publishing her book, dealing with criticism and the journey of acceptance that comes with this; reframing success in relation to a creative practice. - hint… it’s not about money… and many other gems. At the end of the episode, she shares some simple drawing exercises that you can do. For this you will need any drawing implement such as a pen or pencil and a surface to draw on, that’s it!
Some of the things covered in this episode are:
- How the books we read and the things we enjoy doing hold the keys to the creative work we want to make.
- We spoke a lot about drawing: Taking away the fear of drawing. How it is just making marks on a surface. You don’t have to be special to draw. Anyone can do it.
- Sam’s advice to those who may not have drawn since they were a child but would like to start.
- Drawing despite the inner critic voice. Feeling into the fear that comes up and doing it anyway.
- Drawing as a mindful activity to slow down the busy mind and as a source of comfort and solace.
- How drawing everyday, even if only for 5 minutes fosters confidence.
- How Sam and I met many years ago as students of the Royal Drawing School in London and what we learned there.
- How sharing her life on instagram led to having a large community of people who love and follow her work and a book deal with Bloomsbury publishing.
The process of creating a book and putting it out into the world and dealing with criticism.
Books and sources mentioned.
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Magic Lesson Podcast by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Playing big by Tara Mohr
- Control Alt Delete by Emma Gannon
- The success myth by Emma GannonSupport the show
To view Perienne's artwork and find out about the Creativity Cafe membership; an online space with community, accountability and art sessions for creatives, see the links below.
The Creativity Cafe
If you are enjoying the podcast you can
support the show or message Perienne here.
Subscribe and leave a review on itunes
Subscribe and leave a review on spotify